Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Hie Yourself Down to Eldridge Street . . . .

It's been the kind of day in which the BBC seems thrilled that Malta has made it to the finals of the Eurovision song contest. No. Really. You can't make this stuff up. And why would you? Israel is also one of the finalists, which reminds me of a discussion on the Jewish Music e-mail list a few years ago. People were debating whether Julio Iglesias was descended from crypto-Jews; my response was that I was still apologizing to everyone for Barry Manilow.

So I'm happy to push you in a more fruitful musical direction with the premiere of Yale Strom's short documentary about the epochal photo of over 100 klezmer and Yiddish standouts, "A Great Day on Eldridge Street," and a concert by Strom and numerous guests that will be part of the evening. You can see my review here, and find more information at the Museum at Eldridge Street's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment